Monday, August 4, 2008

Women of Substance

This past weekend at the Living Proof Simulcast we were challenged to be women of substance. This is a phrase I have used so many times in describing my desire for myself -- a woman of substance -- spiritually.
God and I are taking my Sunday School class through the book of Esther. Now this was a woman of substance! God used her to preserve the Jews from annihilation. She most certainly stepped out of -- no, was pushed -- out of her comfort zone. She was equipped the supernatural courage and allowed God to use her "for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14) Orphan girl to a Queen. God does things like that!
If Saul would have obeyed God's instructions and destroyed the Amalekites and King Agag (descendants of Esau) and not have taken the plunder (I Samuel 15), Esther may not have needed to be Queen and risk her life in order to preserve the Jews. But his sin and disobedience had a chain effect that we see some 500 years later in the book of Esther. (Esther 3:1)
Saul's disobedience cost him his anointing as King. God regretted ever making Saul king. It not only cost Saul, but the Jews as well. Some people think that they can do whatever they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Every thing we do affects others whether we want to believe it or not. Our lives have a way of making an impact. How and what kind of impact is up to us.
There is a difference between witnessing for Christ and being a witness. I want to BE a witness. I can say all the right things but if my actions and life do not live up to my "words", then I need to ask God help me shut up and just live it!
A woman of spiritual substance: that's my desire. How about you?
Love,
Sherry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I long to be a witness in my walk as well as my talk. Actually we are, but to what do we testify? I pray we testify to Life and Him. You are a woman of substance in your writing, Sherry, and I imagine, in life. Esther is such an amazing story of courage and God's Hand. Love, Annette