Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Jonah-heart?

Like most of you, I heard the story of Jonah and the whale when I was a small child. Sitting, listening intently with wide eyes, I tried to picture what the inside of a whale might look like. It's one of my grand daughters favorite Bible stories -- probably because her grandfather and I insert sounds and motions that make her giggle.

Recently I felt God leading me to teach on Jonah in my young adult Sunday school class. I ask, "Are you sure? Jonah?" (
Why do I question Him?!!!) I began to read and research. I read the little four-chapter book in every version I could get my hands on. After gathering extra information and insight from commentaries and articles I began putting the four lessons together.

To be perfectly honest, I always get much more out of preparing a lesson than the students get out having it presented to them. This little book has made an impact on me. As God would have it and
considering the world we live in today, the timing was perfect.

It amazes me how the Word of God is never outdated! The setting for this story is set around 759 BC, yet humans are still dealing with similar issues and God is still trying to get us to do what is right!

I've decided to share with you what I learned through this study. I will break it down in four or five posts. God is continuing to use this series of lessons to help me perfect my heart. So, come back soon and we'll get started on the lessons I've learned from the book of Jonah.

Love,



2 comments:

valerie said...

I always loved the story of Jonah and the whale when I was a kid too!
I'm looking forward to reading what all you've learned.
See you tomorrow evening over Mexican food! :)

Penny said...

I can't wait to read your input!!